If you’re familiar with our campaign and product shoots, you might recognise Patrick’s profile and photogenic wrists before realising that our usual go-to model has also been our in-house Art Director for the past couple of years. As his last project before running to Paris with his fiancé Emilie Sarnel, he designed a new product line for us, the eponymous PKG01.
Though he’s exploring a new city now (you can find him fishing), we tracked him down to get some final words on the PKG01 and to shine some light on the man making cameos in most of our photos.
Tell us a bit about yourself! Where did you grow up and how did you originally end up in Hong Kong?
I’m born and raised in Stockholm with a Swedish father and Korean mother. We traveled a lot, especially to South Korea to visit family, so East Asia has always felt like a part of me.
Between my Bachelor and Master studies I did an internship for Michael Young in Hong Kong and instantly fell in love with the city. Like me it was half Asian and half Western and so I came back a soon as I could.
What made you want to work with product design?
Both my parents are engineers and so I grew up thinking I would be one too, studying towards it and so on. However, after one miserably failed year at computer engineering school I had to rethink it.
Then, during my break year someone told me about industrial design. I’ve always loved making and building things, tinkering with broken toys and electronics, and so when I applied and luckily got a chance to visit during the entrance test, I felt as if I’d come home.
Tell us a little bit about the technicalities of this watch.
The PKG01 has an understated design where we worked as much on the backside as on the face side. It’s a classic Ø38mm sized watch with a slim polished chamfer, in contrast to the overall brushed finish, that opens up the dial face. Total thickness is 7mm, which leaves very little silhouette and allows the watch to comfortably slide in under a cuff. To start, the PKG01 comes in two case colours: stainless steel and IP coated gold. These are paired with premium leather straps in toned down colours: dark brown, olive green, dark grey and a classic black. There’s also a version with a stainless steel Milanese mesh strap that was very much in my mind when designing the watch.
Tell us about the design details of the watch.
The design of the watch follows the principle of form follows function. It’s round where it needs to be round, straight where needs to be straight and uses as little material as possible without lowering structural integrity. Most of the lines are drawn as the shortest lines from A to B as possible. The case back of the watch is designed, to not just be a lid, but an integrated part of the case with a chamfer creating a shadow-line. This allows the straps to move freely and for the small conical crown to be accessible.
What inspired you to choose these colourways?
The strap colours are very classic fashion colours but not necessarily as common for wristbands. There’s the classic black, olive and dark brown but also a dark grey that goes tone-in-tone with the steel.
If you weren’t a designer what would you be?
Perhaps if I would have found the right field of engineering I would still be there, there are many ways to be creative.
What’s your relationship to time?
I’m a world-class procrastinator. But I do get a lot of other things done when procrastinating so it’s productive in that way.
What’s your favourite time of day?
Early morning, but I’m not a morning person so the only way I can experience it is by staying up all night.
If you had two more hours every day, how would you invest it?
In a diverse portfolio of pharmaceutical and weapons, then I’ll have 3 hours more per day.
What would you say are your weaknesses?
Probably that I’m so freaking modest.
Is there anything you’d like to recommend?
YouTube conspiracy theory documentaries
Take a look at Patrick’s work, the eponymous PKG01.
• By placing an order on www.voidwatches.com you agree and accept to the terms and conditions below.
• While VOID Watches offers free worldwide shipping, customers are responsible for paying for any local charges such as sales taxes, VAT, customs duty and any handling fees placed by their country of purchase and/or delivery.
• Your card information is transmitted over a secure SSL encryption and is not stored.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!
1. VOID provides free worldwide shipping for all online orders.
All cart orders of 165USD AND ABOVE are shipped using FedEx Express. The shipping time for these deliveries are approximately 3-5 working days and are fully trackable.
All cart orders BELOW 165USD are shipped using registered airmail. Shipping time for these deliveries are approximately 3-4 weeks and have limited tracking.
Should you require faster delivery, upgrade to express shipping at checkout for an additional 15USD.
2. If you wish to expedite your shipment in less than 3 days please contact us on email@example.com, and we will try to arrange a faster shipping method at an additional cost if possible.
3. It takes between 1-3 days to process each order. Once processed, a shipping confirmation email will be sent out along with a tracking reference number. Please refer to your shipping confirmation email for details regarding our shipment.
4. While we provide free shipping, we are not responsible for local charges (sales tax / VAT, customs duty, handling fees) that may occur. These charges are at the customers own expense. Since duties and taxes vary by country we are not able to supply an estimated cost. Please refer to your local customs office for more information. Shipping fees and taxes will not be refunded for packages that are refused due to VAT/duties.
5. Please note that our office hours are as followed: Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. Orders placed between Friday and Sunday will be dispatched the following working day.
Also note that during 2017 no shipments will be sent during the following public Hong Kong holidays:
Tuesday, April 04 / Ching Ming Festival
Friday, April 14 / Good Friday
Saturday, April 15 / Post Good Friday
Monday, April 17 / Easter Monday
Monday, May 01 / Labour Day
Wednesday, May 03 / The Buddha's Birthday
Tuesday, May 30 / Dragon Boat Festival
Saturday, July 01 / Special Administration Region (SAR) Day
Sunday, October 01 / National Day
Monday, October 02 / National Day Holiday
Thursday, October 05 / Day After Mid Autumn Festival
Saturday, October 28 / Chung Yeung Festival
Monday, December 25 / Christmas Day
Tuesday, December 26 / Boxing Day
6. All products are shipped out from our head office:
VOID Watches LTD
Unit 1204, Hollywood Centre,
233 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
7. As delays are inevitable, this may be due to custom clearance at destination, and VOID therefore holds no liability over delays. However, all shipments are insured at the expense of VOID Watches.
8. Unclaimed orders - If our courier is unable to successfully deliver your package to you we will have to charge you for the shipping and handling back to us. Remember that you will receive a tracking number and tracking information in your Shipping Confirmation.
1. We want all our customers to be happy with their purchases. If our products do not meet your expectations and you would like to exchange or return your purchase, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org within 14 working days from receiving the goods. Goods must be returned to:
VOID Watches LTD,
Unit 1204, Hollywood Centre,
233 Hollywood Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
2. All goods must be returned in the condition in which they were received and with the original packaging intact. Only the amount paid for the product(s) will be refunded in the manner in which you originally paid (For example, PayPal will be returned via your PayPal account).
3. At this time we do not provide pre-made shipping labels for returned and exchanged items.
4. For the return and exchange of VOID products purchased from other retailers, please contact them directly for their returning policy.
1. All our timepieces and cufflinks are covered by a two-year worldwide warranty, from the date of purchase. Excluding select items where otherwise stated such as discontinued products or certain sale items.
2. The warranty covers any and all parts of the watch that may need repair due to defects in materials or workmanship under normal use. VOID Watches’s obligations hereunder are limited to repair or replacement at its option. The warranty may be rejected on products showing evidence of extreme use such as a broken crystal or dented case.
3. The warranty excludes straps or bracelets and excessive wear or damages to the case, crystal or strap of a timepiece. VOID Watches is not liable for any consequential or incidental damages, and any recovery may not exceed the amount paid for the timepiece.
4. The warranty excludes batteries, due to time spent in warehousing and shipping, may be partially run down by the time of sale. All watches go through 100% battery check before dispatch.
5. The buyer is required to produce a proof of purchase upon request.
6. For warranty issues, please contact VOID Watches at email@example.com.